The NICR Student of the Year designation is awarded to a student who has achieved significant achievements with NICR. This award is to recognize the student’s research and work within the grant.
NICR will begin this award during 2021 and more information will be available soon.
Please view the 2020 UTC Outstanding Student of the Year Award Selection Criteria below – keep in mind, this may change for the upcoming year.
2020 UTC Outstanding Student of the Year Award Selection Criteria
Due to the impact of the coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19) on the ability of universities to continue academic instruction since March of this year, the criteria requirements for selecting the Student of the Year are slightly amended as following:
- Eligible candidates must be selected from within the consortia of the lead university.
- Only one candidate per consortia can receive the award.
- Eligible candidates must have received financial support from the UTC program for at least one semester prior to receiving the award.
- Eligible candidates must have completed at least 12 hours of graduate course work with a grade of B or better at the time the selection is made, and have a graduate level GPA in excess of 3.25 (out of 4.00).
- Eligible candidates must be currently enrolled at the time of selection.
- Eligible candidates MUST be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the U.S.
- Previously selected recipients are not eligible.
Selection will be based upon accomplishments in three areas:
- Technical Merit and Research Capability
- Academic Performance
Evidence of technical and research capability merit is based upon faculty nomination and evaluation of submitted written papers or reports. Academic performance is based upon courses attempted and grades attained. Evidence of professionalism and leadership can be in the form of presentations at professional society meetings and symposia, and leadership in student professional activities.
SELECTION PROCESS GUIDELINES
Each UTC should establish a selection committee consisting of faculty representatives from each consortium university and external reviewers, if desired. This committee will evaluate written documentation submitted by students and will select the awardee from that UTC. The student should submit the following information to the selection committee to assist it in its deliberations:
- Academic transcript and short vita and/or biographical sketch;
- Nomination letter from at least one faculty member; and
- Copy of paper(s) written by the nominee.